New York was once New Amsterdam. What is left of its Dutch past?
New Amsterdam was a 17th-century Dutch settlement established at the southern tip of Manhattan Island that acted as the seat of the colonial government in New Netherland.
In 1664 the English took over New Amsterdam and renamed it New York City after the Duke of York (later James II & VII). After the Second Anglo-Dutch War of 1665–67, England and the United Provinces of the Netherlands agreed to the status quo in the Treaty of Breda. The English kept the island of Manhattan, the Dutch giving up their claim to the town and the rest of the colony, while the English formally abandoned Surinam in South America, and the island of Run in the East Indies to the Dutch, confirming their control of the valuable Spice Islands.
Today much of what was once New Amsterdam is in New York City. But how much? And how has it really changed?
One of our readers wrote to us with another enlightening article about this very same topic. Thank you, Thomas!
Read this BBC Article to find out more.
And don’t miss our excellent travel Deals – check back often.